What Cleaning Products do you use?
I went to a home improvement store not too long ago and as I walked in the front doors, I was struck with the high volume of cleaning products displayed. I'm talking shelf upon shelf and row upon row. Maybe it was so eye-catching because the shelves were tall and reached far beyond my eye-level, which, I admit, isn't hard to do. The point is, there must have been hundreds of the same cleaners stacked high waiting to be purchased. I didn't stop to take a closer look at what was on the shelves, so I'm not sure if the products claimed to be "clean" or if they
SO WHY SHOULD IT MATTER?
You might be surprised I’m talking about cleaners when the title of this post is suppose to be about dogs. Well, hold tight and hear me out. Everything you clean your home with affects your health AND the health of your dog. I know when choosing products to use in our homes, it "seems" easiest to just grab whatever items are available at the local stores and it feels like you should be able to trust what you find there. Unfortunately, you can't. Not all companies have your best interest in mind and not all the ingredients have been tested as safe. Many of them - even the “green” ones - contain ingredients you do NOT want in your house or anywhere near your dog.
Sure, dogs can be resilient, but when they are bombarded with toxins at so many levels, their liver can't keep up and dis-ease may rear it's ugly head, or more subtle symptoms such as gut issues, sensitivities and skin issues. Cancer is on the rise in dogs and the ingredients in your cleaning products play a part. But fear not. There are changes you can make to change the narrative and give your dog a better chance at a long healthy life. I'm going to highlight where toxic chemcials are hiding, what to avoid and an easy solution to turn to. I'll also share my favorite dog-safe all purpose cleaner with you.
Remember I said The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health studied 2,983 ingredients in our products at home and found 884 of them were toxic? Well, look at this list of everyday products that are hiding them:
WHAT TO AVOID
- Formaldehyde - This is a preservative that is often seen in lotions, cosmetics, and baby wipes. It’s a known carcinogen and can cause skin and respiratory irritations.
- Phthalates - These are a group of chemicals found in personal care products and many plastics and vinyls. They can affect your endocrine system, reproductive health, and even potentially cause cancer.
- VOCs - Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are gases that are emitted into the air. They’re found in some building materials, home and personal products, gasoline, and even things like glue and permanent markers. Breathing VOCs can cause eye, nose and throat irritation as well as difficulty breathing and nausea, even damage to the central nervous system and other organs. Some VOCs can even cause cancer.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) - These are surfactants commonly used as an emulsifying cleaning agent in household cleaning products (laundry detergents, spray cleaners, and dishwasher detergents). In other words they keep things mixed up and help them create lather. Oftentimes they are synthetically derived and have the potential to cause skin irritation.
- Ethanolamines (MEA, DEA, and TEA) - These are found in many household and personal care products and have been linked to organ system toxicity, bioaccumulation, and even cancer.
- Triclosan - This is found in many antibacterial soaps, hand sanitizers, and detergents as well as some toothpastes, deodorants, cosmetics, plastics, and more. It can affect the thyroid and endocrine system and was recently banned by the FDA to be used in “antiseptic washes” but can still be found in some other products like toothpaste, cosmetics, and even clothing, kitchenware, furniture, and toys.
- Fragrance - The word “fragrance” can appear on a label and contain an enormous list of ingredients that a company is not required to disclose, as it is considered a ‘trade secret.’ That means a product could contain some awful ingredients and the consumer wouldn’t even know! These chemicals could be linked to cancer, reproductive and developmental toxicity, allergies and sensitivities. Why take the risk?
Doesn’t that sound exhausting to have to read label after label, wondering if what you’re using is safe?! Thankfully you have help.
1. Download the EWG Healthy Living app (Environmental Working Group). I discovered it when I began ditching and switching in my home. Its a handy tool that helps you shop clean. It rates a product based on it's ingredients. For example, if you search for Dawn Dish soap, a picture of the bright blue bottle will come up with a "high concern" rating for hazards to health or the environment. However, it doesn't just leave it at that. The app also rates each of the ingredients.
Go ahead. Try it out. It was tremendously helpful to me when I began reading labels and researching products.
2. If looking up every product seems inconvenient and too time consuming, consider the easy button of ditching and switching with Young Living. You won’t find ANY of the above listed ingredients in their products, especially in the Thieves line. You can trust that what you’re purchasing is truly a SAFE product for you and your dog and will lessen the toxic burden they carry. Young Living never uses any artificial dyes, harsh chemicals, or synthetic fragrances. How wonderful is that?
And the best part… it all comes directly to your door. Easy peasy!
From the kitchen to the bathroom and every room in between. Products that meet a strict seed to seal standard that don’t compromise your health and the health of your dog.
Now, there are many products in the Thieves line, and I DO want to share all of them with you. However, I also don't want to overwhelm you with all the the things if becoming aware of the toxic products in your home is new to you, so I've broken this post into two parts. This is part one. Part two will introduce you to many more easy button products YL has to help you ditch and switch with out the hard work of reading every. single. label.
Thieves Household Cleaner is a great place to start
Knowing I'm doing all I can to lessen the toxic burden on my dog and all who walk into my home is priceless. My dogs cannot communciate with words how they are feeling and they trust me to look out for their best interests. I know I am doing that when I choose Thieves Household Cleaner.
Go Hereto to start creating a happy, healthy home for your dog!
You'll get a bundle of plant-based cleaning products that will not be a burden to you or your dog.
- Thieves® essential oil blend, 15 ml
- Lemon essential oil, 15 ml
- Thieves Household Cleaner 14.4 oz.
- Amber Spray Bottle
- Thieves Laundry Soap
- Thieves Kitchen & Bath Scrub
- Thieves Dish Soap, 12 oz.
Wait… there’s more! A clean living makeover is possible and easy in every area of your home with Thieves! Keep reading and then make the switch.